If you’re looking for some place notable to live, or you simply want to be surrounded by amazing history, then Greenville, South Carolina is the place to go.
Here are some of the more distinguished historic places in Greenville:
The Hugh Aiken House was constructed in 1952. It is one of famous architect William Riddle Ward’s most unique single-family homes. This beautiful home is located at 1 Parkside Drive.
The C. Granville House was built in 1931. It was owned by local attorney C. Granville Wyche, who had a very distinguished career. The house can be seen at 2900 Augusta Road.
The Fountain Fox Beattie House was built in 1834. Through the years it was expanded upon, and moved a number of times. Its final combined construction is unique. It can be located at 8 Bennett Street.
The Broad Margin Residence was built in 1954, and has the distinction of being one of two homes in South Carolina that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It was built as, what Wright called, a Usonian home, we call them natural homes. It is located at 9 West Avondale Drive.
The Vardry McBee House, also known as Brushy Creek was built in 1836, and was once owned by Vardry McBee, who is called the “Father of Greenville” for his contributions as a businessman, and as a delegate to the Greenville District Secession Convention. The home is located at 327 Rice Street.
The Josiah Kilgore House was built of heart pine in 1838. It is one of the oldest structures in the county, and was once moved to prevent its destruction. It can now be found at the corner of North Church and Academy Streets.
The Lanneau-Norwood House was constructed in 1877. It was originally owned by Charles H. Lanneau the man that organized the Hugenot Plaid Mill, which was of major significance to the textile industry in the area. Later the house was purchased by John Wilkins Norwood. Norwood was a prominent banker, and a leading financier of the textile industry. This home can be seen at 417 Belmont Avenue.
The Imperial Hotel was built in 1912, and although it is technically not a single residence, it is the city’s first skyscraper, and the third high-rise in the State. It is a towering example of the prosperity that the city was enjoying, and as such, it was a magnet for local notables that would stay in the opulent rooms. It can be seen on West Washington Street.
The Williams-Earle House was built in 1850. It was the home of Dr. Thomas Williams a prominent citizen and one time member of South Carolina’s State Legislature. Later the home was purchased by Richard Harrison Earle, the grandson of Colonel Elias Earle, one of the founders of the town. The home can be found at 319 Grove Road.
The T. Q. Donaldson House was built in 1863. It was built by William Williams presumably for T. Q. Donaldson, a prominent member of the South Carolina Senate. This home is also one of the few in Greenville that is almost entirely in its original condition. It can be found at 412 Crescent Avenue.
Whitehall is one of Greenville’s oldest residences. It was built in 1813 by Henry Middleton. Henry was the son of Arthur Middleton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Henry was himself was a U.S. Senator, a president of the Continental Congress, a member of the South Carolina House of Representatives, a one-time minister to Russia and Governor of South Carolina. The house can be seen at 310 W. Earle Street.
The Earle Towne House was once a plantation that was probably built in 1810. It was originally owned by Elias T. Earle a United States Congressman. It can be found at 107 James Street.
The Issaquena Building was built in 1919 as a residence for the prominent textile mogul Walter Gassaway. The structure is known for demonstrating the energy and opulence of the roaring ‘20s. It can be seen at 106 DuPont Drive.
These are but a few of the many dozens of historical buildings and landmarks throughout Greenville, South Carolina. All can be found in the National Register.